WAGNER ROTARY SEEKS OUTBOUND STUDENTS TO SPONSOR FOR 2019-2020 ACADEMIC YEAR
With summer nearing its end and the school year around the corner, Wagner Rotary is urging members to consider the potential for sponsoring outbound students for the 2019-2020 academic year. Upcoming deadlines follow:
• The deadline for clubs to identify possible exchange is September 1.
• The deadline for clubs to select finalists and provide contact information to district YE staff is October 1.
• The deadline for the district YE staff to conduct interviews and select outbound is November 1.
• The deadline for students, districts to submit completed applications to Central States multidistrict is December 1.
There is a wealth of information on Central States' website for interested students and their families. Are you interested in becoming anExchangeStudent?Learnmore about the program at (https://www.csrye.org/how-to-participate/why-rotary/). This site will explain how to become an exchange student and where you can go.
Rotary Youth Exchange is for high school aged students who are interested in living and studying abroad for one year. Its goal is to promote the advancement of international understanding, goodwill and peace at the person to person level.
What is Rotary Youth Exchange?
1. Opportunity to learn a new culture and language.
2. Opportunity to be an ambassador.
3. Opportunity to make friends for a lifetime.
4. It's a year of adventure.
5. Our returned students call it "The best year of my life." It is not a vacation...instead it's a cultural and academic exchange that lasts a full school year (11-12 months). While on exchange you will have the opportunity to learn the language and culture of your host country.
While in your host country you will attend school, be hosted by families (normally 3-4) and be supported by your Rotary club and Rotary counselor (as well as Rotarians here in the USA/Canada). Where can you go? We exchange with over 40 countries, including: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, Norway, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Zambia and more!
When applying, you indicate which countries interest you the most - and they attempt to place you in one of them. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the program there is no guarantee that you will be placed in a specific country.
Why Rotary? Rotary Youth Exchange is one of the largest, oldest and most respected Youth Exchange Programs. Key reasons to consider Rotary include:
• Orientation/training process before you leave.
• Hosted by a Rotary Club and Host Families.
• Activities with Rotary/ Rotarians.
• Low cost/everyone is a volunteer.
Do you Qualify? Key Qualifications include:
• Must be a good student (top half of class).
• Between 16 and 18 1/2 years old at the time of departure. How much does it cost?
• Airfare depends on country (and is higher than you might expect because of specific ticket requirements).
• Insurance/orientation/ blazer.
• Possibly language school/ extra insurance in your host country.
• Passport and visa.
• Pins, presents, photos.
• Spending money/extra trips in your host country/ souvenirs.
For most students the cost of the year is between $5,000 - $8,000 ($6,500 - $10,000 $CAD) although this is very much dependent on your spending habits while on exchange. This does not include what your parents save while you are gone (food, car insurance, etc.). Rotary will provide:
• Host families and school.
• Monthly allowance.
• And often lots of extras.
For more information, contact your local Rotary Club's Youth Exchange Officer or visit the District's section at https://www.csrye.org/districts/) to determine which District you live and get the appropriate contact information.